Selling Real Estate
Professional Services - When you are selling your home or property, you need professional representation. Hans has over 30 years of island real estate experience, including 15 years with RE/MAX of Nanaimo. He understands the changing Gabriola Island and Nanaimo real estate markets.
Call Hans today - he is a skilled negotiator who can get you the best price in the shortest time.
Before Your Home Is Listed
It's important to have your home in good showing condition.
Here are some suggestions:
- Touch up interior and exterior paint as needed.
- Install new carpeting and flooring if it appears worn or dated.
- Make sure the front is clean and spruced up – curb appeal will create a favourable first impression.
- Trim bushes and plants as needed, and make sure the lawn is kept mowed and trimmed. In autumn, rake the leaves; in winter, if we have a few days of West Coast snow, keep walk ways shovelled.
- Keep the interior clean, de-cluttered and odour-free. Eliminate evidence of pets.
- Minimize personal items such as family photos. You want buyers to see themselves living in the home.
- Consider putting excess furniture and belongings in storage. Now's the time to clean out the garage and basement and sell, give away, re-cycle or throw away items you don't need any more.
- Consider having a pre-listing inspection performed. Buyers will be hiring professional inspectors; here's your chance to address problems in advance.
- Consider engaging a professional stager to give your home the right emotional appeal.
During the Listing Period
- When potential buyers visit your home, either be absent or make yourselves as inconspicuous as possible.
- Have fresh flowers in the entryway. It makes for a friendly introduction into your home.
- If offers are made that don't match your hoped-for price, don't reject them out of hand. Pay attention to what Hans has to say. His experience and expertise in selling Island properties is invaluable.
- Consider dropping the price if several weeks go by with few or no offers. But if you and Hans have priced your home properly from the start, this shouldn't be necessary.
- Don't get discouraged. In buyer's markets, homes take longer to sell than during boom times. Your home will eventually sell; it's a matter of Hans finding the right buyer for you